Saturday, April 24, 2010

Popovers

This is the popover recipe that was sent to me by over a half-dozen readers. The SAME RECIPE which I found interesting.

I remember growing up what a treat it was when my mom made popovers. She had them mastered.

Ana told me that no matter how tempting the aroma is, don't open the oven to check the popovers until they're finished baking or they will deflate.

Quite frankly, I would like to find one where the oven temperature remains the same but I do remember my mom starting them on high and turning the oven temperature down.

I made mine big…and it was everything I remember about my mom’s recipe.

Makes 8

Popovers

1 cup flour

1⁄2 tsp. salt

2 eggs

1 1⁄4 cups whole milk

1 tbsp. melted butter

1. Preheat oven to 425°. Sift together flour and salt into a bowl.

2. Whisk together eggs, whole milk, and butter in a bowl. Then add to flour, stirring with a wooden spoon until combined (some lumps may remain).

3. Pour batter into a buttered 8-popover tin or 8-muffin pan, filling individual tins three-quarters full. Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350° and continue baking until puffed and browned, about 20 minutes more.

4. Unmold, pierce sides of popovers with a toothpick to allow steam to escape, and serve immediately.

Here is the great Strawberry Butter that I like to have with Popovers:

Makes about 1 2/3 cups

• 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature

• 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar

• 1/4 teaspoon salt

• 1/2 cup hulled and coarsely chopped fresh strawberries

1. Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, and salt until light about 1 minute. Add strawberries and beat until combined, but not totally uniform.

2. Transfer to ramekins or small serving dishes. Chill until ready to serve, or transfer to 2 sheets of plastic wrap, roll each into log, and freeze up to 2 months. Thaw before using. Serve at room temperature

Bon Appetit!