Sunday, April 11, 2010

Fishing For Catfish

I never got into catfish until I moved to the south.

When I was in my twenties and was working at Northern Propane, I went fishing at Lake Texoma with a group of girls that I worked with in the Oil and Gas industry.

I learned that catching catfish was a challenge…and a lot of fun. They are fighters! I also learned that the best part of fishing for catfish was eating them.

I fried it when I made it for my neighbors the other night and when I ate it, I removed the breading even though it was pretty light. This catfish was so delicious! The secret to fried catfish is cooking it at just the right temperature to seal in the moisture and flavor.

Here is a recipe from the Southern cooking expert Paula Dean.

• 8 (5 to 6-ounce) catfish fillets, skin removed

• Salt

• Crab boil seasoning (recommended: Old Bay) or Lawry’s Seasoned Salt

• 4 cups all-purpose flour

• 1 cup cornmeal

• Oil, for frying

Heat a fryer or a deep pot halfway filled with oil to 350 degrees F. Sprinkle both sides of each catfish with salt and crab boil seasoning or Lawry’s. In a separate bowl, combine the flour and the cornmeal. Dredge the catfish in the flour mixture and place in fryer. Deep fry for approximately 7 to 8 minutes until done. Drain on paper towels.

I also like Catfish cooked on the grill with a large dose of homemade salsa. I change it up and sometimes I put mangos or peaches in the mix. Catfish is also a good fish to use when you make fish tacos.

Grilled Catfish with Salsa

4 catfish fillets

½ teaspoon garlic salt

½ teaspoon pepper

Sprinkle catfish with garlic salt and pepper. Place catfish in a well-oiled grill basket or on a well-oiled grill rack. Grill on an uncovered grill directly over medium-hot coals about five minutes per side or until fish flakes easily.

Fresh Homemade Salsa

3 medium tomatoes, chopped

¼ cup chopped onion

1 large slice fresh pineapple, chopped

2 medium jalapeno peppers, chopped

2 tablespoons white wine vinegar

1 teaspoon salt

In a bowl combine tomatoes, onion, pineapple, jalapeno peppers, vinegar and salt. Stir well. Let stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes before serving. Chill to store. Makes 3 cups. Serve over catfish fillets hot off the grill.

Bon Appetit!