Sunday, March 7, 2010

An Unlikely Marriage: Brussels Sprouts And Prosciutto



For years, I would not eat brussels sprouts. When I was in Minneapolis last year, I tried them for the first time. When cooked properly, they are really wonderful. Like most vegetables, I like mine a little crunchy and not overcooked.

This recipe is good. I like it best with the prosciutto but today I didn’t have any and did not feel like going out for some. It was still delicious without it. I did throw in a few Divina roasted tomatoes which I had left over from another dish I made.

• Brussels sprouts, stems trimmed and cut in half

• 3 slices prosciutto

• 2 Tsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil

• 1 Clove Garlic

• Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:

Put 1 Tsp.Olive Oil in a skillet. Add prosciutto and fry until crisp. Remove from skillet and drain on paper towels. Don’t try the prosciutto. I did that once and did not have any left to sprinkle over the brussels sprouts.

In the prosciutto skillet (there will be a little residual grease and lots of residual flavor remaining) add 1 tsp. olive oil and the garlic. Cook for a few minutes. Add brussels sprouts and sear until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with prosciutto.

Bon Appetit!