Sunday, March 28, 2010

St Pat’s Day – Corned Beef And A Tilted Kilt


We went to The Tilted Kilt at 17 N Wabash Ave on St. Pat’s Day to celebrate the fact that we are all ever so Irish.

For once in my life, I decided that I was not going to go crazy on this holiday - imagine that - and ordered a Harp Beer.

First off, it was really spectacular beer and I don’t even pretend to like beer. It was also the biggest glass of beer I had ever seen and when I finished it off I was pretty sure I was done for the day…this also being my least expensive St. Patty’s day on record!

The Tilted Kilt is kind of an “Irish Hooters” and like any other sports bar, had a dozen TV’s going with what else? March Madness.

The waitress, Christin, was so attentive and honestly, all of the staff in this place was really friendly.

The restaurant is in the loop on Wabash on the 2nd floor and had floor- to -ceiling windows overlooking the L. That was part of the charm. It’s Chicago and sitting in the sunshine on this perfectly beautiful St Patty’s Day (the temperature was 50+ instead of the usual 20) was a real step up.

I did not expect anything more than the typical bar food. That was the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. The corned beef sandwich was one of the best I have ever had. Piled high on marbled rye with bits of cabbage and sauce, I was equally impressed with their homemade chips. Have to say they were better than the ones at Harry Caray’s.

If you are in the mood for a Chicago view, a great bite to eat and a dose of March Madness, this is definitely your kind of place!

Bon Appetit!