Sunday, March 7, 2010

Cherry Pie Brings Back Childhood Memories


I made cherry pie today. It reminded me of my mom.When my mom was just learning to cook, one of the first things she made for my dad was cherry pie. Seems however that she forgot to take the pits out. This is the story she always shared and she laughed about what a bad cook she was back then.

I’m not sure to this day that she ever loved to cook like I do, but she grew to appreciate good food because of my dad.

When I look back, I sometimes wonder if I would have a passion for cooking if I had a house full of kids?

After she got us in bed every night, I am certain that she was NOT planning our next meal.

She was probably guaranteeing her survival by counting the days until she and dad would be leaving to vacation in Mexico again.

Cherry Pie

•1 cup sugar

•1/4 cup all-purpose flour

•1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

•1/4 teaspoon almond extract

•1-1/3 tablespoons butter (about 4 teaspoons)

•14.5-ounce can of pie cherries, NOT cherry pie filling (look for Pitted Red Tart Pie Cherries in water)

•Pastry for double-crust pie

Preheat oven to 425°F.

In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon and undrained cherries. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils (about 6 or 7 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in almond extract.

Pour mixture into a 9-inch unbaked pie shell. Dot with butter. Cover with top crust, seal edges and crimp. If a lattice crust is not used, put one or several vents in the crust. Bake at 425°F for 30 to 35 minutes until crust is brown.

Bon Appetit!