Sunday, March 14, 2010

Almonds and Ale: The New Sloppy Joe


Whenever I hear “Sloppy Joes” I think of the bar by that name in Key West. I know people who absolutely swear by their Sloppy Joes. I’ve always made my Sloppy Joe’s on buns but I like the idea of sliders because they would be so much easier to eat.
This is a McCormick recipe from Almonds and Ale – one of their great flavor pairings for 2010. They add the almond and ale giving the sweet meat sandwich a new intensity.



I also thought that the addition of the dried apricots was an interesting ingredient for the mix. I chopped mine super fine.

I was going to snap a quick picture of them so I set them down at my neighbors and went home for my camera. When I got back 10 minutes later, they were all gone. Seems like everyone else liked them, too.

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 25 minutes

Recipe:

1/2 cup chopped dried apricots

1/2 cup chopped onion

1 cup pale ale, divided

1 teaspoon McCormick® Garlic Powder

1 teaspoon McCormick® Ginger, Ground

2 pounds lean ground beef

1 can (14 1/2 ounces) petite diced tomatoes, undrained

1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste

1 tablespoon brown sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Almond Extract

16 slider sandwich rolls

1. Place apricots, onion, 1/2 cup of the ale, garlic powder and ginger in large skillet. Cook on low heat 3 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Add ground beef; cook and stir on medium-high heat 5 minutes or until meat is browned.

2. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, remaining 1/2 cup ale, sugar and salt. Cook on medium heat 15 minutes or until meat mixture is thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.

3. Stir in extract. Serve meat mixture on slider rolls.

Makes 8 (2 slider) servings.

Bon Appetit!