Saturday, February 6, 2010

Scallops And Capellini

There is nothing I love more than sea scallops. When I was young, I use to go with my mom at Christmas to the North Shore Grill at Donaldsons in Minneapolis. I always ordered scallops. Even as a kid, I adored scallops and loved their sweet taste.

Scallops are a superb, low calorie dish. I like the combination with fresh tomatoes. When I later added this to Capellini, it was the perfect recipe to serve to a house full of guests on a cold winter night.

Play around with this recipe as well. I add a lot of different ingredients to the mix when my vegetable bins on overload.

Scallops and Capellini
1 pound sea scallops, quartered if large
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 fresh tomato, quartered
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped green onions
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 small dried chipotle chile with seeds, stemmed and chopped
Fine sea salt
1/2 pound capellini

Preheat the oven to 400°. In a large shallow glass or ceramic baking dish, toss the scallops with the oil, wine, tomato, green onions, garlic and chipotle. Season with salt and bake for about 15 minutes, or until the oil is sizzling and the scallops are firm.

Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the capellini until just al dente, about 3 minutes. Drain; transfer to a serving bowl.

Add the scallops and their juices, toss well and serve immediately.

Bon Appetit!